Amir R. Farkoosh
- Post-Doctoral Researcher
- Co-advised with Prof. David Seidman
- Phone: 847.491.5883
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 2220 Campus Drive, Evanston, IL 60208
- Ph.D., Materials Engineering, McGill University
- M.S., Materials Science & Engineering, Sharif University of Technology
- B.S., Materials Science & Engineering, Sharif University of Technology
I received my B.S. and M.S. in materials science and engineering from Sharif University of Technology (Iran) in 2007 and 2009 and my Ph.D. in materials engineering from McGill University (Canada) in 2014. After a period of postdoctoral research at McGill, in 2017, I joined both the Dunand and Seidman research groups, as a postdoctoral fellow. My research has been focused on designing advanced aluminum and magnesium alloys for aerospace and automotive industries using a combination of experimental and theoretical methods. Besides science, I am very interested in arts, specifically theatre and music. I am a keen mountaineer and I enjoy hiking, camping, and cooking.
Here at NU, I will continue developing and studying aluminum superalloys microalloyed with transition metals through transmission electron microscopy (TEM), atom probe tomography (APT), creep and microhardness experiments. Phase formation in the alloy systems will be studied through first-principle thermodynamic calculations.
- FRQNT (Fonds de recherche du Québec - Nature et technologies) postdoctoral scholarship
- Mitacs Accelerate scholarship
- TMS2017 light metals subject award
- Research excellence award, yearly achievement (2015) and life achievement (bronze medal, 2014), McGill University
- McGill Engineering Doctoral award (MEDA)
- McGill International Doctoral award (MIDA)
- Fonds du REGAL comme soutien a des activités de recherche des étudiants 2012 & 2014
- Best poster presentation award, REGAL STUDENTS’ DAY
- M. Sanjari, A.R. Farkoosh, B. Shalchi Amirkhiz, Y. He, A. Javaid, A.S. Kabir, J. Su, I.-H. Jung, S. Yue, “The role of the Zn/Nd ratio in the microstructural evolution of the Mg-Zn-Nd system during static recrystallization: Grain boundary partitioning of solutes," Scripta Materialia, 134, 1-5 (2017).
- A.R. Farkoosh, X-G. Chen, M. Pekguleryuz, “Interaction between molybdenum and manganese to form effective dispersoids in an Al-Si-Cu-Mg alloy and its influence on creep resistance,” Materials Science and Engineering: A, 627, 127-138 (2015).
- A.R. Farkoosh, X-G. Chen, M. Pekguleryuz, “Dispersoid strengthening of a high temperature Al-Si-Cu-Mg alloy via Mo addition,” Materials Science and Engineering: A, 620, 181-189 (2015).
- A.R. Farkoosh, M. Pekguleryuz, “Enhanced mechanical properties of an Al-Si-Cu-Mg alloy at 300 oC: effects of Mg and the Q-precipitate phase,” Materials Science and Engineering: A, 621, 277-286 (2015).
- A.R. Farkoosh, and M. Pekguleryuz, "The effects of manganese on the T-phase and creep resistance in Al-Si-Cu-Mg-Ni alloys," Materials Science and Engineering: A, 582, 248-256 (2013).
- A.R. Farkoosh, M. Javidani, M. Hoseini, D. Larouche, M. Pekguleryuz, “Phase formation in as-solidified and heat-treated Al-Si-Cu-Mg-Ni alloys: Thermodynamic assessment and experimental investigation for alloy design, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 551, 596-60 (2013).
- Dimitry G. Sediako, Mike J. Walker, Wojciech Kasprzak, Frank Czerwinski, Ahmed Nabawy, A.R. Farkoosh, “High temperature creep evolution in Al-Si alloys developed for automotive powertrain applications - a neutron in-situ study on hkl-plane creep response,” Light Metals 2016, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 131-136 (2016).
- A.R. Farkoosh, S. Serajzadeh, “An integrated model for prediction of thermo-mechanical behavior of metals and work-rolls during hot strip rolling process,” Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 223, 395-407 (2009).