Creep of Thermoelectric Materials
co-advised with Prof. Jeffery Snyder
Over 60% of thermal energy is dissipated as waste heat, some of which can be collected and converted into electricity with thermoelectric materials (TE) via the Seebeck effect. One current applications of TE in power generation is the use of radioisotopes thermoelectric generators in space probes and satellites.
Thermally- and mechanically induced stresses can deteriorate the mechanical and the thermoelectric performance of TE. In particular, creep deformation can limit the mechanical lifetime of installed TE modules. Also, the thermoelectric performance, represented by the figure of merit zT, was shown to drop down by 20-30% due to the increase of the dislocations density and the elimination of the high-angle grain boundaries, a result of creep deformation. In this research, we are further exploring the relation between mechanical degradation and deterioration in thermoelectric performance in various thermoelectric classes (Skutterudites, Half Heusler..).Our recent in-situ electrical resistivity- creep measurement of doped PbTe reveals the direct role of complex dislocation networks and subgrain structures on the continuous increase in the electrical resistivity, in contrary to previous findings.
- Guan, Z. P., & Dunand, D. C. (2013). Compressive creep behavior of cast Bi2Te3. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 565, 321-325.
- Li, C. C., Snyder, G. J., & Dunand, D. C. (2017). Compressive creep behaviour of hot-pressed PbTe. Scripta Materialia, 134, 71-74.
- Michi, R. A., Kim, G., Kim, B. W., Lee, W., & Dunand, D. C. (2018). Compressive creep behavior of hot-pressed Mg1. 96Al0. 04Si0. 97Bi0. 03. Scripta Materialia, 148, 10-14.
- Chang, M. C., Agne, M. T., Michi, R. A., Dunand, D. C., & Snyder, G. J. (2018). Compressive creep behavior of hot-pressed GeTe based TAGS-85 and effect of creep on thermoelectric properties. Acta Materialia, 158, 239-246.
- Al Malki, M. M., Qiu, Q., Zhu, T., Snyder, G. J., & Dunand, D. C. (2019). Creep behavior and postcreep thermoelectric performance of the n-type half-Heusler alloy Hf0. 3Zr0. 7NiSn0. 98Sb0. 02. Materials Today Physics, 9, 100134.
- Al Malki, M. M., Shi, X., Qiu, P., Snyder, G. J., & Dunand, D. C. (2021). Creep behavior and post-creep thermoelectric performance of the n-type Skutterudite alloy Yb0. 3Co4Sb12. Journal of Materiomics, 7(1), 89-97.
- Al Malki, M. M., Snyder, G. J., & Dunand, D. C. (2023). Mechanical behavior of thermoelectric materials, a perspective. International materials reviews [accepted]
- King Fahd University for Petroleum and Minerals Scholarship [ KFUPM]