- Jie Qi
- Post-Doctoral Researcher
- Ph.D., Physics, University of Virginia
- B.S., Physics, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Current project(s):
- Email: email@example.com
I am from Shanxi, China. I obtained the B.S. in Physics (Physics and Math track) from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) in 2016. I was exchanged to the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) in 2015, researching Nitrogen-Vacancy Color Center in Prof. Ania Jayich's group and being mentored by Dr. Tim Eichhorn. That was the starting point of my research career. During 2016 - 2022, I obtained my Ph.D. in Physics from the University of Virginia. In Prof. S. Joseph Poon's group, my research projects include: (1) High Entropy Alloy (HEA) synthesis, characterization, and high-throughput design, assisted by Machine Learning; (2) Magnetic thin film deposition by RF sputtering techniques.
I joined Prof. Dunand's group in 2023. Current research aims to develop castable, high-performance Al-Mischmetal-based eutectic alloys with high strength operated at elevated temperatures, while reducing the cost, energy consumption, and CO2 footprint during production compared to the Al-Ce alloys.
Outside the lab, I enjoy playing basketball, biking, leather crafting, and flying the Cessna 172 on good days.
- Physics Department Dissertation Year Fellowship, University of Virginia, 2021-2022
- Physics Department Fellowship, University of Virginia, 2020-2021
- Physics Department Fellowship, University of Virginia, 2016-2017
- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government Scholarship - Reaching out Award, HKUST, 07/2016
- HKUST Alumni Endowment Fund - Exchange Scholarships, HKUST, 06/2015
- Excellence Presentation Award, The 4th International Conference on Control, Robotics and Informatics, Tokyo, Japan, 2015
- Physics Major Scholarship, HKUST, 09/2013-06/2014
- University Scholarship, HKUST, 09/2012 - 06/2013
- Jie Qi, Andrew M. Cheung, and S. Joseph Poon. "High Entropy Alloys Mined From Binary Phase Diagrams." Scientific Reports 9, no. 1 (2019).
- Jie Qi, Diego Ibarra Hoyos, and Joseph Poon, "Machine Learning-Based Interpretation, Prediction, and Verification of High-Entropy-Alloy Intermetallic Phases Formation," arXiv:2208.02141, Aug. 2022.
- S. Joseph Poon, Jie Qi, and Andrew M. Cheung. Harnessing the Complex Compositional Space of High-Entropy Alloys. in High-Entropy Materials: Theory, Experiments, and Applications (eds. Jamieson Brechtl & Peter K. Liaw) 63-113 (Springer Nature, 2021).
- S. Joseph Poon, Jie Qi, Efficient High-Entropy Alloys Design Method Including Demonstration and Software, US Patent App. 17/380,549
- Inman, Samuel, Junsoo HAN, Angela Gerard, Jie Qi, Mark Wischhusen, Sean Agnew, S Poon, Kevin Ogle, and John Scully. "Effect of Mn Content on the Passivation and Corrosion of Al0.3Cr0.5Fe2MnxMo0.15Ni1.5Ti0.3 FCC Compositionally Complex Alloys." Corrosion (2021).
- Mitra, Mousumi, Allen Benton, Md Sabbir Akhanda, Jie Qi, Mona Zebarjadi, David J. Singh, and S. Joseph Poon. "Conventional Half-Heusler Alloys Advance State-of-the-Art Thermoelectric Properties." Materials Today Physics 28 (2022): 100900.
- He, Qing Lin, Ying Hoi Lai, Yi Liu, Emeline Beltjens, Jie Qi, and Iam Keong Sou. "High Performance CaS Solar-Blind Ultraviolet Photodiodes Fabricated by Seed-Layer-Assisted Growth." Applied Physics Letters 107, no. 18 (2015): 181903.